Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


Note that these are general FAQs for Singaporeans. For students with other nationalities, some criterias or answers may differ. 

Also, we are focusing on Japanese Language Schools and Undergraduate programmes in Universities. Should you have other questions about other programmes such as Master's, you can contact our Educational Consultants directly!

If you have any other questions that are not listed here, our Educational Consultants are also happy to help further.

Q: What is the requirement to study in Japan?

A: There are different requirements for entering into the different types of institutions in Japan. 

For both Japanese language schools and Undergraduate programmes in Universities in Japan, it is compulsory to be 18 years old or above and have completed (or is scheduled to complete) a 12-year education curriculum. For Singaporeans, this means to possess a GCE A level certificate or a Diploma certificate. 

Q: Do you need a certain level of Japanese language proficiency in order to enter into a Japanese language school or University in Japan?

A: The answer is both a yes and no. 

For Japanese language schools, they do not require you to have any Japanese language proficiency to enrol in, as it would defeat the purpose of them teaching you the language. However for certain classes/courses such as “Business Japanese class”, they may require a JLPT N2 level in order for you to enter into the class.


For Universities that offer courses and majors in only 100% Japanese (also commonly know as J-track program) would require a certain level of Japanese language proficiency in order for you to enrol in. And in such cases, it may be required for you to take the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU) before you are assessed for your eligibility to enter the school.


However, there are an increasing number of Universities in Japan that are offering 100% ENGLISH course (also commonly known as E-track program or English-medium program), which means you are able to obtain your undergraduate or graduate degree in 100% english conducted. For this, NO Japanese language proficiency level is required. And even better, there would be Japanese language module covered during your studies in the University so you will be able to learn Japanese language (for free) as well.

Q: When should I start researching or planning if I want to study in a Japanese Language School in Japan?

A: This is a rough timeline that we always recommend to our students. 


9 to 12 months before, you should start researching your options, gathering all the necessary information, and contacting our Educational consultants if you need professional advices or help. 


5 to 7 months before is the time when you have made a decision and start sending your application required documents to the school. During this time, you will also be required to pay the application fee as well. Note that the school will convey to you the application deadline for each intake through email. Also, application might close earlier if slots are filled up.


Once documents have been sent/mailed to the school, the school will apply for the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) at the Immigration Bureau in Japan on your behalf. Once the COE is approved and issued, the school will notify you and mail it to you. 


2 to 4 months before, when you received your COE, you then need to go down to the Japanese embassy in Singapore to apply for your student visa. 


1 to 3 months before, you will need to pay for your tuition fees, material fees, facility fee, etc. 

Q: When should I start researching or planning if I want to study in a University in Japan?

A: Normally 12 months before, you should start researching on all your options and gathering necessary information. This is the time when you should fully utilise our Educational Consultants for their help as well. You should also start preparing for the required documents for application during this period.


9 months before the intake is normally the opening of the first application period. BEFORE the application starts (for example the first application period for April 2021 intake is 1st July to 15th July 2020, then it is before 1st July), you would need to arrange courier mail service for your required physical documents to be sent to the school. AFTER the application period starts and BEFORE the application deadline, you should start and complete your online application. 


About 1 month after the application period, the school would announce your results if you are successfully enrolled in the school, or if you are not. You would then need to make payment for enrolment fee if you are successfully enrolled into the school. 


After you are successfully enrolled, you would receive an email for the required COE documents. You just need to reply to the email with all the required documents listed and the school will apply for your COE at the Japanese Immigration Bureau on your behalf. Make sure that you need to send these documents by the designated deadline as well as paid for the enrolment fee. It usually takes about 4-10 weeks for the COE to be issued.


Once the school have received your issued COE, they will arrange for a international courier mail to you. And you will need to take this COE to the Japanese Embassy in Singapore to apply for your student visa. 


About 1 to 2 months before, you would need to make payment for necessary fees such as Tuition fees. And you can start preparing your flight tickets and other things before you fly!

Q: What is Certificate of Eligibility (COE)?

A: It is a fundamental step towards a student visa. It is NOT the visa. It is a required document you need to apply for your student visa. 

Q: Can I study in a Japanese Language School if I am over 30?

A: Absolutely! There is no restrictions to the age limit and if fact, there are more students over the age of 25 who are interested to study in a Japanese language school in Japan for their future work prospects. 

Q: Generally, how much is the cost of living in Japan?

A: This depends on individual. But according to a survey done by a trusted source, for 4 years inclusive of tuition fees, lodging, food, etc, it would cost about SGD$91,777. And for a 6 months short term study, it would cost about SGD$12,990. 

Q: Are there scholarships available to study in Japan?

A: Yes, there are various scholarships to aid student in their tuition fees. Different scholarships also have different criteria and requirements. The most common scholarship for students who are planning to enrol into a University is JASSO Monbukagakusho Honors Scholarship for Privately-Financed International Students Pre-arrival Admission. The monthly stipend are usually 48,000 yen for graduate as well as undergraduate levels, but the amount may change from one academic year to another. Link for more information as follows -


There are also various types of scholarships available for those who wants to study in a Japanese language school. Some Japanese language schools even offer their own type of scholarship! Each school's scholarship is different, for example you can check out 

Tokyo Galaxy Japanese language school's scholarship here. 


If you need more information about other scholarships, feel free to contact our Educational Consultants!

Q: Why do you recommend studying in Japan?

A: For those who are planning to pick up Japanese language, learning a language in its native country is one of the best and fastest ways of mastering it. Moreover learning the language in Japan itself, you are surrounded by people who speak Japanese and you can make Japanese friends. You would be "forced" to speak Japanese and that is when you will really grow and learn. 


For those planning to study for your undergraduate degree, Japan has many underrated benefits that you may not know. For example, the cost of studying in Japan is cheaper than in countries such as US, UK, Canada, Australia and Hong Kong. This means that you can actually get a highly sought-after degree in Japan for a fraction of what others have to pay in other countries. Moreover, Japan has more than 700 Universities hence offering a wide array of courses, and many universities such as University of Tokyo and Kyoto University are ranked top 100 Universities in the world. Japan is also one of the safest country. With a rich culture, generous scholarships and aids, high employability rate, as well as globally recognised qualifications, studying in Japan have many unknown benefits. This is why we want to act as a bridge between Japan and YOU!